Last week, there was a story by FOX News about an elderly couple who remained inseparable until their death – which occurred together. This story reveals the selflessness of a man who lovingly served his ailing wife until their end. One could have even said that his actions toward his wife were those of a saint. And the selflessness demonstrated here creates in me a desire to live that life-long service. Some who spoke about this couple said that they would be together forever, even in death. Although I affirm that marriage is temporary (Matthew 22:30), it reminds me of the needed heart attitude as I prepare for this season. In this way, rightly interacting with my soon-to-be spouse is one practical application of living out the reality of being made a saint.
Jerry Bridges, in Respectable Sins, shares that our privilege of being named a saint is not because of our “character but . . . state of being” (12). So, there is a responsibility for us as believers to respond in a way that reflects that we have been “separated . . . ‘for God’” (Bridges 12-13, 15). This cannot be something that I merely reckon with my mind, but it must be played out in my actions.
Bridges discusses the Air Force's investment in cadets preparing to be officers (13). And it causes me to think: if much has been invested into these young people for their becoming what they have been set apart for (on a temporal scale), how much more should I be intentional in acting out being set apart eternally for God (Bridges 12-13). And this truth ought to see fruit in my preparations for becoming a wife (which is a wonderful but temporary status).
Yet, as I walk this journey, I find out how strong this “guerrilla warfare between the flesh and the Spirit” is (Bridges 15, 14). And one book which has been helpful in this season and battle is Dave Harvey’s When Sinners Say “I Do”. While was reading this book, I was forced to look honestly at my pride within this relationship. So very humbling! And it should be something I continue to read. You can check out some more information about this book here.
Thanks for joining with me! I'm looking forward to conversing with you!
Well, Melissa. Thank you for your thoughts on this post. I like your emphasis on the temporal nature of really any relationship we encounter here on earth. It is easy to value so greatly those things which will one day be lost when we go to see our Saviour, even though many things on this earth truly are good things.
ReplyDeleteSainthood, which implies a certain value placed on holiness, is certainly something to be discussed in Christianity. To be a Saint is not necessarily easy to define. Some have said that anyone who accepts Christ is automatically a saint. Others put various requirements on the title. What do YOU think? I believe, personally, that a saint is anyone who professes faith in Christ, and, as one of His elect, seeks to serve Him in everything they do. I welcome your thoughts as a fellow bloggie. :)